roylinp

The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue
Mackenzi Lee

"Me Before You" I guess the title gets to the heart of the matter

Me Before You - Jojo Moyes

I read this book because it is part of my book club. In my new state/location I decided to be social, and why not a book club since it is something I love. And book clubs lead you to books; you may not pick on your own. This would be one of those books.

There is a lot to say about it. About the relationships in the book; the characters; the theme of choice, and life and death. Too much too much to say really, so I will leave it for the book club discussion. But ultimately it is about love, and how we choose to express it.

But this book poses good questions.  What is love? What is the act of loving someone? If someone you love wanted something so far beyond the pale of what you wanted for them, would you support them? A lot of times we say we love someone and only want what is best for them, but really we want what WE think is best for them, and their opinions on the matter get pushed aside.  A lot of times for people, loving another person is about them, not about the person. Like Death also become about us and not the deceased. But sometimes loving someone involves letting them go to make their own decisions, even if those decisions hurt you in the end.

And the opposite is true as well...the person being loved sometimes feel obligated to bend to the wishes of the one giving the love. Even to their detriment. You end up living a life to please the people in it, not yourself. And that life is your life, not theirs. You end up existing, and not living and next thing you know you are 26 years old like Lou, never going anywhere, or doing anything with her life, nor ever leaving her small town.

This was the irony in the book. Lou thinks she is helping Will, who is a shut in and locked away through circumstances beyond his control, but he looks at her and sees someone who is a shut in and locked away from the world by choice. She is trying to "heal him" and help him see life is worth living, but all the while he is healing her and making her see that she is not living at all ....even compared to him. He did not need healing or fixing. He knew what he wanted and lived the life he wanted. And ultimately, he knew when he had enough. It was her that in the end was changed.

Will’s choice...many characters called it selfish….but was he the selfish one? Was it helping him forcing him to live in a way he despised and was killing him slowly each minute? Was it for him they wanted him to change his mind? Or for them?  It would have been nice to have a traditional Lifetime Movie ending to this book. Because we read to escape and dream...but while the ending was not traditional....it was still a happy one. I'm glad I read this, it was funny, sweet, poignant, sad, and kind of heartbreaking all in one. But it still left me with a smile. That's life all in one. And I suppose that's the message too.