roylinp

The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue
Mackenzi Lee

Abandonment Issues: A Case Study

The Perfect Match - Kristan Higgins

This is what this book should have been called. The majority of the characters held on to people and tried too hard, for too long to get people in their lives to return the amount of affection they put into them. And all the while not realizing that there were others around them willing to take them as is, without all that stress. Honor spends many wasted years hoping that the boy she loved from childhood, and who basically she clung to because  of the loss of her mother, would come around an love her back...if only she tried harder. If only she accommodated him more...and in the end she made herself a doormat and someone people take for granted. Like an "old baseball glove."

Tom did it with his last relationship and with Charlie. He stuck around tried harder and did more...when it was obvious his old fiancé was not even fully there, and with Charlie...boy...I wanted to beat that kid for his foolishness...yeah he is 14 and hurting and mad and lashing out...but poor Tom arranged his whole life practically screaming: "I love you, love me back!" every day...and that ungrateful kid just shunned him.  And of course, this all goes back to Tom's mom leaving him as a child and never coming back. He sees himself in Charlie and Charlies relationship with his biological father and it is like he wants to fix for Charlie what he could never fix for himself. But in the end Tom had to let go and stop trying to hard...sometimes you have to let people come to their own realizations and you can't protect them from getting hurt in the process.

Sometimes getting hurt is what you need to move on and get on. And sometimes...some people aren't worth the effort and you have to let them go, no matter how much time you put into them.

This is a pretty deep analysis of a simple romance. LOL. But I like that there was a lot going on with the characters, and that sometimes I did not like them much. Makes it relatable. So on top of the contract marriage plot line, which I always love, and the hot romance and warm family scenes....this had a bit of depth to it that keep me reading. And I liked that. It was still light enough that it satisfied my itch for something easy and fun during my night of insomnia...and it had some deepness to it to get me thinking.

This is my second book from this author, and so far I have enjoyed both. They are nice breaks from dragons and wizards.