roylinp

Escaping into My Books

The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue
Mackenzi Lee
SPOILER ALERT!

Reading progress update: I've read 47 out of 251 pages.

Prince of Thorns  - Mark  Lawrence

Hmm, you know. I think I might quit here. I am not in the right frame of mind for this...

In the first 2 chapters there has already been mass murder, 2 rapes with subsequent murders of the victims by fire....and that was from the main character....who is 13. I have a trigger about gratuitous rape and violence. I'm fine if it is necessary for some point of character/plot, but even then I'm iffy about it.....but in this case it is treated as just something these guys do for their enjoyment and fun before they kill you. Eh...that makes me squirm too much and just...no.

I don't usually mind grey characters, and those who commit bad deeds, but I must feel like there is either some redeeming quality to the character, or they are written in such a way that while I think they are terrible I understand and relate to them in some level. In this...I don't know if I can. The main guy is damaged...that's for sure....from past trauma... but it is obvious just from the parts I've read that he is pretty much a sociopath and without remorse or any conscience that I can see. And that kind of removes some of the fun for me. We are left watching in horror as he tears his way through innocent and not so innocents. One review I saw compared this to A Clockwork Orange....the main characters. And that is pretty accurate. This might be cool to me in certain moods...but not today. Today I need redemption and some sap. Maybe I'll pick it up again another time.