roylinp

Escaping into My Books

The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue
Mackenzi Lee

I am really enjoying my YA reading adventures

These Broken Stars - Amie Kaufman, Meagan Spooner

I was telling someone the other day that I have been mainly reading YA books for the last year---especially fantasy. That it was mainly because I found adult Sci-fi fantasy had gone a bit stale, with every story line seeming to be the same thing over and over again, and with the same tired tropes. The same can be said about most genres. We kind of repeat the same story over and over again for everything, but it is how you tell it. Adult Fantasy ad hit a rut in how it told it. But I have found that a lot of YA books these days tend to break out of that. There are all kinds of interesting new ways that they are telling the same story. This book was a good demonstration of that. It had all the old tropes:

1. Poor little rich girl

2. Poor low class boy in love with her

3. Evil daddy who thinks no one is good enough for his baby girl

4. Star-crossed love

But then they threw in the interesting things.

1. Lilac is a very good/strong female character. People seems to think being strong means the girl never has to be scared; always has to be bad ass and never needs any help, much less from a man! But, no...being strong could mean knowing when you are in over your head and asking for help. Having the mental strength to survive in the harshest environments and never giving up...even if sometimes you cry and need to sit and gather yourself for a minute...you get back up and you go on. Being strong is being confident in your abilities and not letting anyone dismiss them or you when it counts. Lilac is all of those things, so I found her a very food female character, even though she cries about her dresses and shoes...she shows up when it counts. And based on her action on the planet, I fully bought why Tarver would like her, and would be impressed by her. To me the hero of this book is Lilac, not Tarver, even though we spend more time in his head. She figures out how to get them unattached from that falling ship and away; she figures out how to send a distress signal out; she learns how to open the door; she saves Tarver time and again. And she did it again in the end with her father. I was very impressed by her.

2. There was no damn love triangle. And the romance was believable. I totally bought it.....since we spend the whole book building their relationship piece by piece. The only time I was annoyed was when Lilac kept insisting on dying on that planet and sacrificing herself for Tarver. I'm glad he was stubborn and despite what he says...he is very smart. He proved himself in the end.

3. It was all set in a Sci Fi setting. I loved the slow build of the mysterious planet and why it was abandoned, as well as the final reveal of what resided on that planet and its link to Lilac.  I loved the quick glimpses of the world they lived in: The separation of the lower classes from the elite. The corporation and their total ownership of the planets---as well how the system is made to benefit them in every way. It will be interesting to see more of the world in further books. Based on this I would say....I look forward to reading more from this author

Romance A+

Story: A

Science: B+ (I always get confused with all the science mumbo jumbo jargon at some point.)

Pretty good.