roylinp

Mackenzi Lee

All that I expected.

Days of Blood & Starlight - Laini Taylor

Synopsis:

Once upon a time, an angel and a devil fell in love and dared to imagine a world free of bloodshed and war.

This is not that world.

Art student and monster's apprentice Karou finally has the answers she has always sought. She knows who she is--and what she is. But with this knowledge comes another truth she would give anything to undo: She loved the enemy and he betrayed her, and a world suffered for it.

In this stunning sequel to the highly acclaimed Daughter of Smoke & Bone, Karou must decide how far she'll go to avenge her people. Filled with heartbreak and beauty, secrets and impossible choices,Days of Blood & Starlight finds Karou and Akiva on opposing sides as an age-old war stirs back to life.

While Karou and her allies build a monstrous army in a land of dust and starlight, Akiva wages a different sort of battle: a battle for redemption. For hope.

But can any hope be salvaged from the ashes of their broken dream?

I had this sequel for months and only now got up the courage to read it. After reading the first book, the ending kind of broadcast that the 2nd would not be giving me any warm fuzzies. I sometimes get in moods where I can even bring myself to reading a book if I think that there will be angst or sadness, and other heavy things. Some days, I just want to read fun romances and easy fantasies where the hero is always good and knows what he is going and everything is black and white. I was in this mood for a while...which is why am I only now reading this book.

And it was as I expected. A lot darker than the first and the heroes were never in a good place. Karou is filled with guilt and shame for her perceived wrong to her people that she allows herself into being bullied into doing things in the name of vengeance and war that first book Karou would never think of. And Akiva is also filled with shame and anger and self hatred for his actions...so it a book full of pain and suffering both physical and mental. Karou an Akiva are both filled with pain and mistrust towards each other, but it is understandable based on the history between their people, and what they both witnessed and endured when they still were wide-eye and full of hope. But towards the end, you can still see a glimmer of that hope despite everything, that Karou may still yet live up to the meaning of her name. But I know it will be a while, if the plans of the Dominion for the world of humans are anything to go by...I look forward to seeing how Humans react to these Angels in their midst’s. I think that they may surprise the Angels and Demons alike. Akiva I think is right to fear a war between their world and the Humans....if one thing humans have proven.....they know how to create destruction and death. But they also are capable of never-ending good deeds, and hope. So I hope ...despite all signs...we get a happy ending for both worlds. Fingers crossed.

Like the first book, I loved the world building. It is rich and seems so real. All the characters introduced add more to the world and to the experience of the people in it, even the ones that our hero and heroine...if that is what they are in the end. It is kind of up for debate. Which is another thing I liked about this series...it does not try to make anything black and white. Who is the good guy, who is the bad? Who is your enemy, who isn't? And look how quickly that can change based on the situation you face. It shows that everyone is the hero in their own tail, and the villain in another's. Who decides which is true? And how?

I look forward to the third and final installment. It promises to be very exciting.