roylinp

The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue
Mackenzi Lee

Very Nice...

Cinder  - Marissa Meyer

This one will be short and sweet. Loved it.

I'll just get the bad stuff out of the way first.

The storyline was a bit predictable. I think from about 3 chapters in I already knew all the revelations to come. This is the results of many years reading Sci Fi  and fantasy. There is a formula, and most books follow it. So the 4 stars is not really for those standard tropes...

It is for the fact that the story still found a way to be unique even while using very common tropes and even while being a retelling of the Cinderella story. I liked all the nods to the original fairytale: the evil stepmother and two stepsisters. One not being so wicked; the charming prince; the doctor as the fairy godmother, and of course the metal foot in place of a glass slipper. It was all very cleverly done and interesting. And of course good sci fi is nothing without some good world building. I enjoyed the glimpse of what appears to be a future earth and of course Luna, where I hope subsequent books will spend some time because I find the society as described very interesting as well as the magic system.

All in all this was a nice action packed book with interesting characters and worlds that kept me interested from start to finish. I look forward to the rest. And I recommend this to anyone that wants a bit of a different twist in their sci fi and YA fantasy.