roylinp

The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue
Mackenzi Lee

A good bridge...

The Crown of Embers - Rae Carson

The first book of this series focused on Elisa kind of finding her place in the world and developing some confidence in herself....and second book expounded even more on this journey. Elisa is now on her own in a new country and in a position of power and she has to put to test her new found confidence in herself. The entire book is about her coming into her own and realizing that she is enough. That she did not have to cling to anyone or rely on anyone to be great and could be great on her own. Yes, she can have magic and power beyond anyone else ...but it is nothing if she doubts herself and is weak in spirit. Yes, someone can love her for who she is and good and bad....but it is not the be all and end all. And it does not have to determine her worth. Elisa removed all the things that were keeping here chained to that girl from the first book that had no self esteem and did as she was told or what was wanted of her without questions. She is starting to recognize the people in her life, that are toxic. That say they do things because they care about you....but these things always end up hurting you and only serving them. Ximena...though she thinks she is the heroine in this tale...represents all that Elisa is trying to leave behind...and I was happy to see her put her foot down there. Xemina was on my last nerve. And in the end how she just sold out Hector like that for her own selfish gain....? To keep her influence?

I like the themes of this series. That in the end, it is not about who you have and what you have...but who you are and what you choose to do that makes you successful.

And of course...I love the romance. :). Hector is lovely, and if I were in Elisa's show..I would not have wasted that much time getting on that. Seriously....

I like that the romance was a slow build. That we see the characters slowly begin to become aware of each other and fall into each other. I don't like these love at first sight deep loves, where the tow meet and 2 second later they are declaring undying love and calling each other soul mates...because they are not realistic. I like to see it and believe it. This romance is realistic because we see it start and grow along with Elisa. But of course it being great means I have to suffer through the angst that is to come. really? The ending was too much. But at least in the end, we will get to see the heroine running to the rescue of here man. It's a nice twist. Hector as the damsel in distress is very amusing.

I looked forward to the next book. I have heard  only good things.