roylinp

The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue
Mackenzi Lee

So Unexpected. So good.

Seize the Fire - Laura Kinsale

It is always a joy to go into a book expecting a certain type of entertainment...and get something all together different, but in a good way. This was my experience with this book. And it made me appreciate it even more.

My re-introduction into historical romance continues.

From the blurb I expected a nice lighthearted, and humorous adventure with the usual romance staples: they meet, they hate each other, they fight, they kiss, they fight some more, love, love, love, they break up, and finally love. And in many ways I got that. It was loads of fun in many areas. Olympia is so naive and airheaded at times, and Sheridan is besides himself with wanting to throw her over a railing or dump in her a sack and throw her in the ocean. And Sheridan is not noble by any means. He is all about how he is going to survive and make money, and if that means throwing you to the wolves or abandoning you in the wilderness...he will do it...and Olympia fins out the hard.

But underneath all of that, and throughout the whole book the author weeds in so much reality. As you learn more about Sheridan...and dig deeper...he becomes so real. His problems are so real and timely. He is so broken and in need to help and Olympia being so open and free with their affection and love is the perfect person to help him..if he will let her. And he is the prefect person to help her through the events to come in her life and kingdom..he is the perfect person with the perfect life experience to break her out of her self-indulgence and naivete. You are drawn into their story and their characters thoroughly and kind help rooting for them.

This book had adventure, romance, tragedy, danger, and everything else you want in a story. It seems a crime to call it a mere romance. I enjoyed it immensely.