roylinp

Escaping into My Books

The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue
Mackenzi Lee

What promises to be another great new series

The Demon's Lexicon - Sarah Rees Brennan

We open up in the middle of the action. Nick and his brother Alan have spent their wholes lives running from demons and magicians that control them to gain power. Their mother, Olivia has stolen something from a powerful magicians Black Arthur and run off with it, and he has not rested in searching for her. All their lives Nick and Alan have known fear and death: the death of their father, who sacrificed himself to save the boys, and the fear of being caught by the various Magical Circles and their magicians. Through it all they only had each other. Their mother has been driven mad not only from the strain, but due to horrors visited upon here when she was part of Black Arthur's circle. She has fits of mania and most notably...she hates and fears her son...Nick. Just his presence sends her into a frenzy. This sets up the mystery of the entire book, and which is brilliantly unraveled one chapter at a time.

We are told this whole story by the younger brother Nick. He is bitter, cold and sarcastic. He does not understand why he should care for this woman, his mother, who does not care for him. And he doesn't understand why his brother Alan is always trying to help others and crying over people he doesn't know. All he knows is that he has to survive, and if that means killing some useless people, that he does not care about, in the process then that is what must be done. He has no friends and doesn't care at all....and is an all out asshole loner. But as the book progresses you being to suspect that there is more to the story of Nick than he even knows.

In the end this book while it has the usual thrills, chill, mystery, action and all the drama to keep you reading...it also asks interesting questions. What makes us who we are? Nature or nurture? Can we overcome our nature based on our life experiences? Does life and all that comes with it even matter? What makes us human? This book in the end was an excellent read. I am happy to hear that it will be a trilogy. I look forward to seeing where this goes.