roylinp

The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue
Mackenzi Lee

In Love with it

The Curse of Chalion - Lois McMaster Bujold

I have read many good things about this author, and many times meant to pick up one of her books. I finally settled on one of her older books rather than her new series just to see if I liked her writing enough to continue...and boy did I.

The main appeal of the book is the main character who is a broken down, older, sarcastic, funny, self-effacing, and cynical guy that when we meet is at his lowest in life. He has just escaped from a hard betrayal and near death intent on begging his way into any position in a noble family for which he used to be a page boy....and he finds himself caught up and in the center of political intrigue and a ancient curse. He also learns that he has caught the attention of the Gods.

This book has everything: courageous heroes and heroines; bad guys, good guys that do bad things, romance, betrayal, etc, etc. It is a good sweeping story line that I really enjoyed. It took a while to get to the main mystery in the book...but you hardly noticed because the characters kept you interested and it did not drag.

The plot is well planned out and goes from nice easy, character driven lows to gripping, exciting high. There were several times during the story that I could not stay in my seat because I was so filled with dread of what would befall not only the main character but the minor ones around him. This does not happen often and is a sign of an excellent writers.

The end of the book and the storyline was wrapped up nicely and in a satisfactory way. It remained exciting right till the end and left room and questions for the next book in the series set in this created world. I look forward to reading this next book and other by this author.