roylinp

The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue
Mackenzi Lee

Good Begining

Spellwright - Blake Charlton

The best part of this book is the interesting magic system that the writer created. I love fantasy because it is a real escape from the real world...magic, adventure, danger, and all that jazz....so I love it when I run into a book that has such a richly created fantasy world...and doesn't rely on the same old magical tricks. It was very interesting and a good use of words and their power. The magic literally is words. All spells are created and written out through words and the ability to read and be fully literate makes a big difference on how successful a wizard you really are. Spells are created by writing the words and actions you want to convey onto the object or onto your skin. You have to not only be literate to do it successfully...but you have to know how to spell.

Nico is considered this world "mentally retarded." He is literate, but whenever he attempts spells...he misspells them and they go badly. When reading...he sees the words differently, so the description of him being dyslexic is accurate. This puts him at a disadvantage and he is kind of put in what we would call, the special Ed class, with all the other special folks. A Wizard Shannon takes an interest in him from the start and tries to teach him as best he can given his disabilities, but Nico is never satisfied and always filled with shame about his condition. When he was thought to be the rumored savior before his disability was discovered he had a purpose, now he was an outcast.

But he soon finds himself in the middle of a conspiracy and with very powerful forces chasing him. He learns that perhaps the prophesy was not fully the truth and that his disability might not be something that he was naturally born with. He soon finds that wishing to be important and special isn't all that it is cracked up to be once you are all those things. The second half of the book had a lot of good action and suspense, and set up the reader nicely for the next installment. Maybe one negative thing is that I thought a better job could have been done with developing some of the secondary characters...sometimes Nico seemed as if he was floating in a vacuum. But overall, it was a fun read.  I look forward to the next book.