roylinp

The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue
Mackenzi Lee

Magic and Pirates!

The Assassin's Curse -

This books was good fun. There is magic, action adventure, pirate, romance, and just about everything else. The book started off jumping right into the action and it kept coming all the way to the end. Even during the somewhat down period of the book where the two characters were stuck in one place or another waiting...it still felt like the book kept moving. It did not get bogged down. This is one of the book best points. It knows how to keep it moving and you interested. I enjoyed Ananna, she was self reliant and strong and capable....while still being fully relatable and likable. Sometimes in order to have a strong female character...writers make them too hard, but this did not happen in this case. Ananna was brought out to take care of herself and stand up for herself, lead...so she does it naturally. When it comes to the two characters...she is the strong one. She is the one who can handle the world as it is. Naji, for all his being an magic assassin is held back by his own insecurities and he is a bit broken from his experiences. This blinds him to obvious thing around him ...makes him not truly see or see falsely (like the intentions of a certain woman). So he is magic smart, and strong as far as power...but he is not world smart. To him something may seem "impossible" but as the old wizard said....it is not really impossible. But Naji can't see it yet. He is not ready. So their adventure will continue until he opens his eyes. I look forward to it because by the end...I was invested in their tale and if Ananna can get that True Loves's Kiss.