roylinp

Escaping into My Books

The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue
Mackenzi Lee

Horizon (The Sharing Knife, Book 4)

Horizon - Lois McMaster Bujold

So this is finally the end of the Sharing Knife series, and it was a satisfying end. In this final installment Fawn and Dag begin their final journey south where Dag is going to be trained as a maker. Then it follows them as they make their way toClearcreek the home of Boss Berry and their new flatboat family they acquired during the last book. Of course they pick up many strays on their journey and meet/battle the worst malice yet. It finally ended with them finally settling down and playing "farmer" as Dag would say.

It was a good end, but not fully satisfying. I still wanted to know more about the world Dag and Fawn lived in...and it's mysteries. What really are the malices? The books speculate and tell us a lot about them, but we really and truly don't know. Why do they spring up all of a sudden? What is their goal? Where did they begin? Where did the Lakewalkers begin, etc, etc. I am a sucker for mythology....and despite all that these books had I wanted more. I get trying to keep some mystery, because even the characters don't know, but I would like to see it explored some, and perhaps the author will step into this world again. The prologue (which I did not feel was really needed) gave enough hints.