roylinp

Escaping into My Books

The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue
Mackenzi Lee

Reading progress update: I've read 207 out of 384 pages.

Sorcerer to the Crown - Zen Cho

I have never related to a character more.

Because of his race, he has to work extra hard just to make people think him worthy of the position he has, and even then, some still will dismiss him and try to take it from him. And he can't even show he is bothered or angry or upset...because they use that against him too.

And people put all these negative traits on him....that are the total opposite of what he is....because they assume everyone of his race is like that. They are all murderers and thieves, so of course he can't be worthy of anything he has and took it by underhanded means.  It's so frustrating!

But being African American....that's pretty much my life and the life of most minorities. In many cases...there is nothing you can do if someone has decided that just based on your appearance/race....that you are not worthy of their concern or to be given any benefit of the doubt. Or even to be treated like a human being with feelings. And when things go wrong...you are always the easy scapegoat.