roylinp

Escaping into My Books

The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue
Mackenzi Lee

I really wanted to love it more...

The Storyspinner - Becky Wallace

This book had all the ingredients to make it a  book that I should like:

1. Hidden Princess.

2.Secret magical people in a world where magic is thought dead.

3. Romance

4. Political drama and plotting

5. Fighting for a throne

So everything was there, but I felt like it just did not come together as it should have. I felt kind of distant from the book and characters. It had it's moments when I felt drawn into the action and drama, but it was short and then I kind of went back to feeling like I was READING about events in the book...not actually LIVING them. Weird considering I am reading a book..but good books draw you in and make you feel like you are right there living the experience with the characters. There is the cliche, show don't tell. This applies here: The book was telling me  it was good, but it wasn't showing me it was good. It was telling me about the feeling and emotions, and motivations f these characters....but it was not showing me. Even the romance...parts of it was handled well, the tension between the two characters was built nicely for a point, but then...it just all became just rushed together.

What I think the main thing was, is that a lot of the plot felt rushed. If it was more tightly controlled..it would be great, all the ingredients are there. But there were points where I felt things were just tacked on..and no one went back to check that it made sense to what was said before. It might come down to style and preference, because someone I usually get recs from liked it a lot, me...it's a meh. Oh well.