roylinp

The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue
Mackenzi Lee

Pleasantly Surprised

The Winner's Curse (Winner's Trilogy, #1) - Marie Rutkoski

I kind of saw mixed reviews for this book. Some people really liked it, and others really didn't. So I went in cautiously. I can say I feel into the really liked it side.

The premise could have been very problematic. Girl buys slave at market, they fall in love..yeah...eh...that's kind of icky. But...I liked that the the basic wrongness of the dynamic was fully addressed. Can you really love someone and have any kind of good and healthy relationship with them..if they own you. There is so much issues with freedom of choice and fee will here. Slaves have none. They can't say no, or voice displeasure at their treatment, so how can you know if they actually have warm feeling towards you...if they can't express any real feelings and their well being depends on your good will? There is an inherent power imbalance. It would never work, and you would be fooling yourself into believing anything was real.

So I liked that this was addressed head on. These two people did not have an easy road and still don't. They did not fall magically in love suddenly and lose all sense and reason. No,they fought it all the way. They both have loyalties to their people, and their people are at war. So they will forever be at odds, and there will always be a imbalance of power on one end or another. I understand both their choices, Arin's especially. I mean he is fighting for the freedom of his people. In the end that is what matters more than what he feels for one girl. And Kestrel's choice at the end is also pretty realistic. In their eyes...and based on just recent history. Them being in any kind of relationship is impossible. Of course..I am hoping that something works out in the end.

But I liked both characters. The plot was good and pretty realistic for the premise. And the romance WHILE FRUSTRATING...was pretty satisfying and realistic. Looking forward to the next installment. Of course...it's a trilogy that ended in a cliffhanger. Sigh. My pain continues.