roylinp

Escaping into My Books

The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue
Mackenzi Lee
The Emperor's Edge (The Emperor's Edge #1) - Lindsay Buroker

This was an interesting one. I saw a recommendation of it on another site and I figured I would give it a shot....especially since it was free.

The good:

1. The world created was very interesting: a steampunk setting in an aging old warrior Empire, where the elite are separated into castes, and society is in flux...at least when it comes to the role of women. In that society it is hinted that in the past women's main role was marriage and procreating, so as to make more warriors for the Empire and its many wars. But with the Empire on a slow March towards peace...that role...while still there...was changing and women were taking on more business roles, and becoming powerful in their own right due to that. There were also hints that this was something that was causing concern for the old guard. But even with this new found power and influence....women's role were still limited, and when we meet our heroine, she is one of few women trying to branch into fields not traditionally female and hitting the ceiling most often. So I liked the little threads of this struggle weaved into the story, and teased and something to be explored more later.

2. I enjoyed the main plotline. There was nonstop action from the beginning and it just kept moving. It made the book very easy to read---despite its length. It flew by because the main characters were literally....flying through the book from one action packed scene to the next. The best way I can describe the main action, characters, and feel of the book...is to say it was a mystery/Caper...like Ocean's 11 in a Steampunk fantasy setting. A group of down on their luck characters that seem to work together well enough to get stuff done...and make you laugh in the process. I can't say I disliked any of the characters. They may fumble, bumble and fight their way through it...but in the end they pull it off.

3. I enjoyed the slow build and hints of romance. I do like romance, so any bit of it...handled correctly...will draw me in. Just.....no triangles! lol. I see hints of it coming though. Sigh.

The concerns:

•  1. Though I liked the group...they were at times on dimensional. The gigolo, the nerdy processor, etc, etc. I would have liked to see a bit more fleshing out of the secondary characters.

2. I did like the plot...but at the end I think it got a bit convoluted…too many revelations, within revelations and plots within plots. That could have been toned down a bit. It came across as trying too hard.

That's about it. It was a solid read, and I enjoyed it enough to continue on and see what adventures this group gets up to next.