roylinp

Escaping into My Books

The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue
Mackenzi Lee

Reading progress update: I've read 236 out of 335 pages.

Down London Road - Samantha Young

I think I am going to end it here. This started off pretty okay as far as the basic story line, but I could never really fully buy into Jo's motivation and reasoning for her dating the men she did and putting up with their disrespect and the disrespect of others because of her activities. I found her too be just one the wrong side of annoying. She just settled for her life being how it was and before Cam, never once questioned it or tried to even think that there was another way. I guess I was supposed to see her as self sacrificing and selfless, but I just saw her as having a victim complex or even a martyr complex....her suffering and hardship feeds into her belief that this is what she deserves and all she is allowed to take, and while I can understand it....she seems to rather wallow in it for majority of the books and not even bother to change her situation, and that annoyed, It isn't until she met Cam that she even changes a bit, but even then I did not like that she did not come to this realization on her own, but due to once again...changing action and behavior as part of keeping a man. Cam also had some problematic issues as well.

All in all..and the bottom line..I just could not like the main characters as I would like liked. They don't have to be perfect, but something has to draw me to them to make me emotionally involved and that did not happen.So, I just kind of lost interest about this point and found myself slogging through and I made a pact with myself to stop reading if I feel like it. Life is too short.