roylinp

Escaping into My Books

The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue
Mackenzi Lee

Love. Magic. Sex. What's not to like?

The Magpie Lord - K.J. Charles

Well.

I am going to go out and look for any sequels in this world. I liked the word building. That is always something I enjoy in fantasy books. It is completely different from our world in every way, or is it laced with ours, with just slight changes/differences. This Book is the latter. In this tale the two protagonists live in a world just like ours...but in an alternative history/universe where magic and an entire magical society with its own government and rules exist. A lot of time was not spent introducing us to every details of the world in some long boring narrative, but introduced slowly and as relevant to the happening in the book. I thought it was handled very well.

A quick synopsis:

Exiled to China for twenty years, Lucien Vaudrey never planned to return to England. But with the mysterious deaths of his father and brother, it seems the new Lord Crane has inherited an earldom. He’s also inherited his family’s enemies. He needs magical assistance, fast. He doesn’t expect it to turn up angry.

Magician Stephen Day has good reason to hate Crane’s family. Unfortunately, it’s his job to deal with supernatural threats. Besides, the earl is unlike any aristocrat he’s ever met, with the tattoos, the attitude…and the way Crane seems determined to get him into bed. That’s definitely unusual.

Soon Stephen is falling hard for the worst possible man, at the worst possible time. But Crane’s dangerous appeal isn’t the only thing rendering Stephen powerless. Evil pervades the house, a web of plots is closing round Crane, and if Stephen can’t find a way through it—they’re both going to die.

I loved Lucien. He has the perfect dry humor and sarcasm I love, but not in a negative way. It makes him charming and works well in drawing even his most angry opponent to him, as it did Stephen. He is a character that is brave in living his life how he deems fit regardless of the consequences. Stephen, I loved almost because he is brave in another way. He does what is necessary even if it makes him want to run away screaming. That's takes strength. These two meeting is a recipe for drama and ...as we find out lots of magic and ...FINALLY after waiting the whole book....some pretty hot sexy times. That was quite worth the wait. I always say I love the slow build, it makes the final pay off so much more satisfying.  As this romance is just beginning...I look forward to more, much more from them. heh.

The mystery was handled well and built slowly, piece by piece falling into place. While the romance was great...it was still secondary to the magic and the mystery. The actual plot was quite good and keeps you guessing...until the final reveal and it mostly made sense. There was a place or two where I was confused with all the threads, but it came together satisfactorily in the end. The end also left open a possibility of more to come in the adventures of Crane and Stephen...and their enemy. Look forward to it.

I must say...I have been getting some good M/M recs lately. I am adding these authors to me list.