roylinp

The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue
Mackenzi Lee

A Visit to my Historical Romance youth

The Spymaster's Lady - Joanna Bourne

I into a mood and picked out a couple of old "bodice rippers" that people have recommended to me in the past. I went through a phase in middle school where that was all I read, but soon discovered Anne Rice and never went back. My main adult life I had been reading fantasy...and it is still my default...but I have discovered my love for a good heaving bosom romance. I got recommendations from trusted sources and will post my adventures here.

First of all, they need to make these covers less embarrassing to read in public. Second, despite the cover that can drive "serious readers" from the book...this book was excellent.

I always complain of typical romances, and get bored easily by them. The same goes for Fantasy. This is not the typical romance. The heroine is funny, witty, weird, and just plain fun. Yeah, he is being saved a couple times by the strapping hero...but most of the time she is very capable by herself. The first chapter in this book gives you a perfect view of what the rest of the book would be like..and an good snapshot pf the characters...and boy is it a snapshot. You are thrown right in the middle of the action and it is nonstop adventure, romance, laughs and danger till the very end of the book.

I can't say too much without giving up so many spoilers that will ruin all the surprises..in case this is read...but this book is a gem. It does not have the usual frustrating misunderstandings that keep them apart..and that anyone with common sense would understand, and it does not shy from being a bit gritty and dark based on what these two people do. A fun and excellent read...despite the half naked man on the cover. lol. Don't let the cover fool you.

I hope the other romances I choose are as good.