roylinp

Escaping into My Books

The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue
Mackenzi Lee

Some fun and easy fantasy

The Laurentine Spy - Emily Gee

The premise of the book is that there are Three Laurentine spies embedded in their rival country's, called Corhonase, Citadel. There have been there some at least two years, and meet regularly to pass the secrets they learned to their guardian so he can pass it to their homeland. The three spies do not know each other identities, just each other's code names so as to protect each other if they are caught.

Saliel is pretending to be a noblewoman. The person she knows as One is a nobleman and Two is a servant. Saliel is soon to to be pulled from the field and is more than happy to leave and collect her money to begin her life anew. She is from the slums in her home world, a fact thatwould lead to her immediate shunning in society, and this is her ticket to a better life. But her plans are derailed when she is told by the Citadel's consort who arranges all the noble marriages that she is to Marry Lord Ivo..a dimwitted lord she hates. Also during that period..she and her fellow spies foil a plot by Corhonase that would have left Laurent in a bad place, and now everyone suspects there is a spy in the Citadel. They calls in a notorious spycatcher and he begins to interview the Court.

This is when things start to really unravel and makes Saliel question the path she choose. What follows is lots of suspense, adventure, lots of action and a good bit of romance. The book was an nice easy read...with enough of everything to keep the pages turning and me entertained. In between the action, there was nice slower moments that gave you more views into the characters ...which I always enjoy. And most of all..it had a nice happy ending, because you started to root for them.