roylinp

Escaping into My Books

The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue
Mackenzi Lee
The Girl of Fire and Thorns - Rae Carson This story could have gone a predictable route: plain, dumpy girl married handsome Prince who is heroic and brave, etc, etc and is soon won over by her inner beauty and kindness, etc, etc,etc. They live happily ever after. Etc, etc...this story was not like that. The Prince, while handsome is not exactly the stuff of fairy tales and despite her bravery and kindness...he is not won over by her inner beauty..but that is okay. Because the Princess does not need it, and proves to be someone who is worthy without his love or his approval. And she is pretty kickass when she wants to be.This is what I liked most about this book The fantasy and adventure is great, and I always enjoy that. The world created was good, and the story moved at good pace that kept you interested. What I liked most was that the theme: believe in yourself. People may doubt you and try to tear you down and make you feel less than..but they will never succeed if you never doubt yourself. The only opinion of you that matters is the opinion of yourself. The only thing that give you worth...is you. Elisa was able to win, once she believed she was capable. I enjoyed it a lot and appreciated that it brought a little something different. Highly recommend.