roylinp

Escaping into My Books

The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue
Mackenzi Lee
Secondhand Charm - Julie Berry This was a very light, but fun read. It started off a bit slowly as or the introduction of the fantastical elements, about 100 pages, but even then the characters and writing were charming enough to keep you reading. Once the action began...it kept moving and was very satisfying.I totally understood how Evie, who just found out that she was different and strange from everyone else in the world and how this could lead to her being an outcast...could lead her to cling to and be carried away by the ones person she found, or found here, that understood her and shared her strange gifts. But even as she was carried away she never fully lost herself or her character and that is what saved her in the end. Never giving up yourself or stop being who you are despite many forces telling you otherwise.I enjoyed the slow reveal of the major plot and bad guys and how their plot of thwarted. It was very clever. Though with how it ended, it kind of left me with a though of a sequel...Annalise does not strike me as someone who forget. And of course...I enjoyed the little splash of romance. That is always nice especially when handled well and not overdone or rushed. So over all a charming book and fun read.