roylinp

Escaping into My Books

The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue
Mackenzi Lee
Firelight - Sophie Jordan What I liked: I loved the mythology created in this world, and the glimpse we got of the draki and how their society work and intermingles with the human and hunter worlds. I did like Jacinda, despite her situation I found her to be a strong character. Yes, her situation is overwhelmed but she doesn't allow herself to be lead...unless there is no other choice, such as what is best for her family and that is a good trait to have in her situation. I loved her family dynamic it was very realistic and believable.Things I'm iffy about: I am always a bit ho hum and weary about romances that the people are drawn together immediately and there is this grand passion that they can't explain. I find it a bit too convenient. I guess my complaint is more of a personal preference...I like the slow build of the relationship....where the connection build through various interactions and you believe it...it becomes real..and that can be done in a few hundred pages. Lord knows I've seen it done in many a historical romance. So I guess that's my thing...the relationship and grand love was a bit too fast, too much, too soon for me. But over all I liked it. There was a nice build up to the end and some of the mysteries and questions were nicely hinted and placed.