roylinp

Escaping into My Books

The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue
Mackenzi Lee
Shadow and Bone - Leigh Bardugo

This book was recommended and given some pretty decent to high review from people that I trust with book recs, so I was eager to give it a read. Most books don't live up to the hype...but this was close. It was a good mix of action, adventure and romance, and I liked how we kind of were taken on the same ride as Alina. From the moment she is discovered by the Darkling and taken to be trained to save the world...the reader is under the impression that this was a specific type of story, on we have seen a lot. Peasant girl plucked from obscurity and told she is special/has special powers. Then her plain ways and straight talk draws the eye of the beautiful prince, and together they will save the land. So lovely and nice. Yet...as we find out, there was a lot more going on and it's cruelly ripped from us. I liked Alina, but I also liked the Darkling. These type of complex character always draw me. To them, they are the hero, they are just trying to help everyone...if only they did thing their way and let them be great. His vision of himself if always in conflict with what he has becomeOver all....likable characters. Good story. Like the world created and the characters. It was enjoyable enough that I almost went and got the second book right away. But my TBR list is already too great and I need to restrain myself.