roylinp

Escaping into My Books

The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue
Mackenzi Lee

These books were the escape I needed.

Another book spree, but an easy one. And FUN!

I read one of the books in the Pennyroyal Green series a couple years ago and I loved it so much I gave it 5 stars:What I Did For a Duke (Pennyroyal Green, #5). And I was in the mood for something light and fast, so I just happened to pick the next book on a whim…and was reminded why I gave that last book 5 stars. I now feel like going back and reading every book in this series. It is great.

It Started With a Scandal (Pennyroyal Green, #10)  4 Stars

What I loved about this story was that the heroine was unconventional. Here was a lady who is a fallen woman by every standard of society, and who could have easily fallen off a cliff into despair and ruin, but she didn't. She survived and thrived. And when you meet her you see why. She is witty, resourceful, strong, and really a force of nature. She is not fearless, she has lots of fears and insecurities, but she uses that fear to motivate herself and succeed. I loved her. And I understood why the hero fell in love with her.  He had no choice frankly. I loved their relationship. Full of dry wit and banter, and mutual respect. I liked that when he found out that she was an unwed mother with a child, that there was no unnecessary drama. He accepted that she was a woman that lived her life fully before him, and yes, she made a mistake and trusted the wrong person, but without that mistake she would not be the woman he loved. I like when the heroes are sensible, and not babies. It helps. And this guy was lovely. I enjoyed every minute of this book.

And like with the first Pennyroyal book I read, it built on the legend of Olivia Eversea and Lyon Redmond. But this was the one that book that lead directly to the author finally telling their story...I was intrigued enough with the ending that I immediately went out and bought the next book in the series! And it must have been fate, but that day it was 1.99 on e-book....not that it would have mattered at that point, I was gonna get it. But it helped. And so...

The Legend of Lyon Redmond (Pennyroyal Green, #11)  4 1/2 stars, 4.9999 stars. Something like that. lol

Omg. OMG.  This book had everything I love: slow buildup (since it's been built up in almost every book in this series), star-crossed love, pining, angst, misunderstandings, romantic kidnappings (it's possible!), hot sex scenes, interrupted weddings, runaway brides, deep secondary characters, public drama and spectacle...I mean what was not to love? And I almost felt like I read the perfect set of book in the series for the ultimate buildup, because the first book I read, that I gave 5 stars to, was the story of Oliva's, our heroine’s, younger sister. So I got a good bit of the build up there. (I would also recommend reading the story with Lyon's sister:I Kissed an Earl (Pennyroyal Green #4)). Like I can't really explain all that I loved. I'll let the gifs speak for me. Really the only reason why I did not give it 5 stars...was because of the epilogue.

I got the purpose of it. It was an ending of a sort to the series, so the writer tried to give it a sweeping kind of generational ending...to show that these people and places went on and the stories of love continue...but...eh…could have just left it at Olivia and Lyon. Unnecessary.

But all in all. Read the Pennyroyal Green series. It'd a great one.