roylinp

Escaping into My Books

The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue
Mackenzi Lee

I had no idea what was going on...but I loved it.

The Martian - Andy Weir

I read this for a book club, so I am going to save most of my thoughts for them.

But, for a book so full of science that went right over my head, it was surprisingly an easy and fun read. And I learned a lot about how the science of the world works, that I never really thought about before.. It helps that Mark has this dry sense of humor that makes his latest near death on Mars seem like just a wacky adventure, and not as soul crushing as it would be if we really thought about it. His humor helped him and us survive.

The story in the end was uplifting and left you feeling hope. Like Mark says in the end...humans as a whole want to help each other, and if they can, they will go to the ends to do it. Yes, we have assholes who don't care, and it may seem like they outnumber us sometimes....but they don't. In the end..people want to do good. It is basically a book about  the human spirit  and it's resilience. We survive because we keep trying and inventing and changing, always reaching for more.

Yeah, there are some writing style points that bugged me and I can stress over...but over all..I was pleased.